Sunday, 8 April 2012

Tate Modern Visit

On Friday I decided to go to the Tate Modern in London, as there were two exhibitions on that I needed to visit to support my Final Major Project for University. I'm not usually a big fan of the Tate, as I don't really like conceptual, modern style art, however the exhibitions on intrigued me a bit, and it made a nice day out :)
 The Tate is near alot of tall buildings and cranes...if you look around in London alot lately all you see are cranes...preparation for the Olympics possibly, but lots of building and development going on...
This is a photo I took from the balcony of the Tate Modern, lovely view :) You can just about see the advertisements in the bottom of the photo for the Damien Hirst and Yayoi Kusama exhibitions! These are the two exhibitions I had come to see. Only problem was Damien Hirst's exhibition was pretty much fully booked that day, and the queue for tickets was almost out the front door :/ it was SO popular. So in the end, we decided to just go see Yayoi Kusama, and come back for Damien Hirst another day.
 "Yayoi Kusama (草間 彌生 or 草間 弥生 Kusama Yayoi, born March 22, 1929) is a Japanese artist and writer. Throughout her career she has worked in a wide variety of mediums, including painting, collage, sculpture, performance art and installations, most of which exhibit her thematic interest in psychadelic, repetition and pattern. After experiencing psychiatric problems, in 1977 she voluntarily admitted herself to a hospital, where she has spent the rest of her life. From here, she continued to produce artworks in a variety of mediums, as well as launching a literary career by publishing several novels, a poetry collection and an autobiography."
 Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take any photos of the exhibition :( So I had to make do with the leaflets and postcards I managed to pick up.
 Most of her work dealt around psychadelic ideas and colours, repetitive patterns and the idea of obsession. Much of her work was based around the idea of 'sex obsession' where she would create 'phallic objects' and cover furniture and entire rooms with these blatently penis shaped objects.
 She also used alot of repetitive dots within her works, including an art film where she covered a tree and a naked man in dots, then doing the same to a cat...it was a little strange and everything had been sped up so it was quite dizzying to watch.
 After the exhibition we decided to look round the free part of the Tate. This is a piece called Film Star by John Latham. Its a piece I have seen before on earlier trips to the Tate, and its one of the only pieces I actually like in the whole gallery!
 As usual, there were alot of strange conceptual pieces hanging from ceilings, which at first glance looked kinda poor :/ but in a photo seemed to stand out pretty well.
 I quite liked this photo that was in the gallery, it was of a beautiful country house with a power station in the background, slightly haunting but the contrast of ideas and colour worked really well.
 These photos were a collection of black and white portraits of students, by the photographer Akram Zaatari. I rather liked them as they related in context to my own project theme of childhood.

This piece was rather strange. It was placed in a room void of any detail or anything at all really, and it had rather bright white light coming off it. Kind of reminded me of a climbing frame or the bunk bed I had as a kid...
This piece was drawn onto the wall in black and white, and had genuine dead birds attached to it with arrows. It was a little strange but has given me an idea for my exhibition piece in May :)
It kinda bums me out I only have a few weeks left til the project is over...and the exhibition is only next month D; better get to work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com