Thursday, 3 May 2012

Last Day at UCA

It was my last day at UCA today. I came in an hour before the start of lessons like i usually do, and began mounting all my work onto a1 sheets to put into my portfolio, finished all my sketchbook work and then organised all the appropriate documents we had to hand in (and believe me there are alot of documents!). Cannot believe how quickly it has gone, september doesnt seem that long ago...I officially have five months off til i start at Camberwell in London for my degree. Here is pretty much how my desk looked a week ago with all my work up before i took it down for my portfolio....
I did have alot of fun putting my work up! Although every day the radiators would heat up the work and make it fall down...nevermind. Well anyway as you may know I had to produce a final major project for the exhibition we are holding at the end of the month, so I'm going to show you some of the work I've been doing in the last 3 weeks :)
I've been working on a mini collection of pencil drawings of my 'babyhood', using photos of me as a baby basically. I used a nice non smudgy pencil so the images would stay nice and clean, and left out all texture and detail to keep the images as refined as possible.
This one of me reminds me of Stewie Griffin >.<
I deliberately left out lots of things such as eye detail, clothing detail etc, it wasn't intentional at first but I quite liked the strange, empty look about it, especially with the eyes! I also isolated any backgrounds and areas of clothing i felt weren't appropriate, as i wanted to draw attention the figures more than anything. I think they make quite interesting baby portraits :)
Aside from the baby portraits, I got back into acrylics! I was working on a canvas surface, and using photographs of my childhood (as you can see behind the painting). I really enjoyed doing this particular image, however it took me 3 days and i think at least half of that was spent doing the background (which was extremely boring).
With my second canvas acrylic painting I managed to capture a few of the steps i took to create it. I started off by spending a good hour analysing and sketching in pencil the shapes of the figures, background etc so i could get it done acurately and in proportion.
I then began to build up the colours in layers of paint, the 1st layer being a solid peach colour, the 2nd adding shadows, the 3rd adding blush and temperature to the skin, the 4th adding creases and folds to the skin and the 5th being the areas i would highlight to show moisture on the skin or the light direction.
see the difference the layers make? this process takes hours and can be very boring |:
I began to paint my 2nd figure (my mum) which was a little more difficult as she has a much darker skin tone than my first figure, so i had to completely mix up a new pallette of colours...
And after this long boring process, I began to add clothing, and scenery, also using the build up of layers method...
I tend to leave the hair until last, so that the background can be painted behind it and not over it!
The final product! Aside from the detail and colour depth etc, im not overkeen on the child figure in this painting for some reason...i tried for ages to figure out what i didnt like about it but even now im not sure...I get the feeling i drew the child a little bit out of proportion, even though i spent an hour trying to get it right - just shows you the difficulty >.<
In my third and final canvas painting, I this time decided to focus more on the figure rather than the background so i could pay more attention to things such as proportion, i didnt really want to fuck this one up...by this point i was getting a little fed up of doing paintings... as you can see in the image above, i've painted the 1st layer of paint which is a thick solid colour.
Here is after applications of shadows, highlights, skin temperature etc. I have even begun to highlight the facial folds/features with a grey paint. Again you can see I'm deliberately leaving the hair til I've made a start on the background :)
My figure is complete by this point, aside from a few final touches to the skin that is. I had aleady begun to put the beach in the background, as i was getting a little impatient to start on the hair! I also kept the reference photo close by so i could keep an eye on what i was doing :)
And after 2 days of work here is the final product of canvas painting number 3! I am much happier with this painting than with number 2, as i felt i did a much better job on it.
Anyway thats all for now, as I have to go out tonight to a comedy thing :) but I will need to blog on my upcoming exhibition where all these works will be featured >.<

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com