Sunday, 1 July 2012

Meredith Bardo

Today I am featuring an interview with an awesome artist from Chicago, known pretty well in the Tumblr world as Meredith. At just 16 she has already achieved countless followers and her popularity continues to grow online with her daily postings of illustrations. Her work is a favourite of mine, featuring perfectly simplistic illustrations of nostalgic subject matter and a little teenage angst, relating to her own love of 80s culture and music.
 Tumblr is a pretty interesting place for discovering new talent - receiving up to 68.4 million posts a day and 16,422,942,720 monthly page views - it’s become increasingly popular and possibly the latest forefront to the artist world. However sometimes behind a screen we don’t always get to see or hear about the person behind the work. I was a little eager to hear more about the girl who signs her work rather modestly as ‘DITH.’, and self consciously uses a photo of herself with her face covered by a red sheet of plastic on her About Me page.
Thank you for accepting my interview! First up, why don't you explain a bit about who you are, what you do, how long you have been doing it....
Im meredith bardo, a 16 year old living in the chicago suburbs, im going to be a senior and man i really hate my school. i draw during class, mostly math haha, and at home and at the library and behind a dumpster because its just really fun and blah blah. and ive been drawing seriously for about two years. 
Describe yourself in five words:
 i am a sass master
When did you first become interested and drawn to illustration? 
i always enjoyed drawing since i was a little kid (badly might i add) but a defining moment would be when i went on flickr and just discovered the whole illustration scene and just wanted to be like these cool artists and began to be serious. 
What past experiences do you think have contributed the most to where you are now? 
  Probably just my family and parents being really supportive of what i want to do in life. just little things, like my mom maybe buying me a book about artists or my pops paying for an art class. i mean i still would have the same goals if my parents didnt approve but it really gives me a better outlook on things and just knowing theyre there to help.
You often have mentioned that you draw in school lessons. What reception to this do you receive from your teachers and classmates?
 honestly my art class was one of those classes that people get sent into if they dont have enough credits and only three people in it were passing. but despite it being a blow-off class, it was really fun. my art teacher was so awesome and we would have rad conversations on how he hated my music taste or he would just go into these long-winded stories about zombie . and i actually learned alot from him too,he gave me really meaningful advice and a whole new perspective about art.
What is your general process to creating your illustrations? 
i find a reference photo, normally ill just stumble across it and like it enough to draw it, sometimes i add words, other times i dont and sometimes i just draw something for the purpose of getting my words out. and i also enjoy doing patterns on clothes and things just because its relaxing!
 What do you parents think of your work? And are they aware of your internet success?
 as i said, my parents are really supportive and they say im talented, but i mean c'mon theyre my parents of course theyll say that haha. and my dad will casually mention stuff from my blog sometimes which is a bit awkward because i have no idea how he found my url .. 
What are your five drawing items of choice?
super awesome black tipped 03 micron pen (my prized possession), cool colored sharpie pens, colored pencils, my eraser that resembles a mustache (its fab) and the super light 5h pencils because i find them easy to erase 
What is your greatest inspiration behind creating your work? 
people, mainly how they look, their expression, clothes, ect. and of course other artist, they inspire me just to be creative too.
Aside from art, do you have any other cool hobbies, skills or interests?
i have this deep deep love for 80s music, clothes, hair, style ect. new wave is my jam and i literally spend my days watching bad 80s movies, sobbing into my pillow about the fact that im not molly ringwald or that i will never marry robert smith. its a hard life ..
As an artist, what is the best advice you have ever received?
at NAPD, one of a schools representatives told me that i had a style and to just focus on developing it, i have been for a while now and i can just feel myself improving and getting better every day and its a really nice feeling.
Do you see yourself in an art career in the future? Or do you wish to pursue other goals?
 im really pretty dead-set on going to an art school and having an art career, i cant imagine doing anything else. which is of course scary because i know its going to be a difficult road but im willing, because its something i really really enjoy man.. 
Meredith's tumblr is at http://ohaymrdth.tumblr.com/ so go check it out :)
Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com