Sunday, 25 November 2012

When I Did Screen Printing

About two weeks ago I did a Screen Printing Workshop at my university. I've never done it before, and I've always wanted to! We have a floor of printing workshops, and part of our course gives us the opportunity to gain skills in printing so I gave it a shot. 
 The Screen Printing room.
There were some amazing examples in there on display :
 The cupcake was my favourite, and it had a red velvet sheen over the top of it so it was fluffy :) So cute! Well anyway, for our own workshop I used an old piece of work from last year. I printed it out from my computer, and then used tracing paper to get a black and white copy of it.
 Its one of my favourite pieces and I've always wanted to screen print it. Once we had our copy, we had to have the image put onto a woven mesh. The mesh is covered in a UV reactive liquid, left to dry, and then the image is put over the top of it and has a very strong light source shone on it. This allows my image to appear on the mesh.
 
 Just like so! I wish I had made my original image more black and bolder as the shape of my design would've showed up a little better, but it was my first attempt >.<
Then once the mesh is cleaned off and dried, it is fitted onto the screen printing press. Then we had to make sure we had the paper adjusted so that the image would print onto it correctly.
 A squeegee is moved across the screen stencil, forcing or pumping ink into the mesh openings for transfer by capillary action during the squeegee stroke. I've had to use a few images from the net to show this process as I didnt have a chance to photography this in motion myself..
 Once it is done, you lift up the press and you are left with a design.
 
 I had a few attemps at my design on several different types of paper....
I left it to dry over night and went to collect it the next day. I think the thicker papers looked best.
And here it is scanned in! Like I said before, I wish I had made the black and white version darker so that when I screenprinted it you wouldnt have the sketchy areas (as shown). But nevermind. I'm quite happy with it.
Hope you like it :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com