Friday, 19 July 2013

East London Comics & Art Festival 2013 Part 2

And now for Part Two! As I mentioned before, we managed to get ourselves to some of the workshops that were happening at ELCAF in the afternoon. They were all pretty busy and we struggled to get a space at the table due to all the people wanting to take part.
 
This workshop turned out to be pretty cool - "Make Your Own Pop Up Book with Icinori"
The guy from the company showed off some beautiful pop up books designed by themselves...before giving us wads of paper and pens to make our own.
I began by making this cute little guy - whilst Fraser being the practical guy he is helped me out by making the paper background for the pop up to go on (I was getting a little stuck and frustrated with it). Surprisingly the instructions given were a tad harder than we all thought they were going to be....
But eventually we got there in the end and my little pop up man was delivered, glued and ready to go on the pop up paper background made by Fraser.
 
So once my first part of the pop up was made, I began building on the page to create more detail.
It was a little tricky...
Aside from my pop up man I also began making a little pop up house and a cat to go on the design too...I only had a few different coloured pieces of paper to work with, hence the lack of colour scheme, but for some reason I think it worked better this way :)
And ta-dah!
Thanks to the lovely Fraser for this photograph (along with all of them) - Heres the finished product!
This was alot of fun :) I was rather fond of the little world I had made in pop up design....I may even work with my little man and his cat friend again :) but perhaps in a different medium...pop up is hard.
 
Anyway after this workshop we attended another one, this time run by my University Tutor JAKe which I had been looking forward to. A bunch of other students from my course also turned up to support him, hes a pretty popular guy!
The workshop was called 'Comics for Adults with JAKe' and the workshop involved a little background on his own work in the comic/graphic novel industry, some tips and ideas, followed by getting us each to make our own mini comic strip.
Some examples of JAKe's work...they were really good, Fraser was quite fond of this.
We also managed to get a good look inside JAKe's sketchbook too - this was also pretty awesome, as its a really good way to see an artists thought processes and steps and all that jazz.
 
So eventually we got to have a little go at making our own comic strip. As much as I love manga and graphic novels I have never ever actually had a go at this at all.
Until now....and I decided to use my little house and cat character I had designed in the pop up workshop to illustrate my story :)
The story follows the cat being awoken by a fly...before he proceeds to swat it dead. Something I get alot of in my house at the moment with all the heat and bugs about....cats everywhere.
So that was it! A collection of cool little designs as a result of some fun workshops :) Day well spent!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com