Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Unit 6 Communication and Persuasion Project

By far, I would say this was the project that I worked the most hardest on. I hadn't exactly intended to, and when I first read the brief for the project I was not very happy about it. The brief asked us to "Develop a piece of work that engages an audience and encourages people to think and act differently, become a visual activist." For alot of people this might sound like fun, but I'm quite introverted and this seemed like my idea of hell at the time.
Anyway, I got on with it. I came up with the idea of a 'Generosity Pledge' - a campaign to get people to be more generous and to take part in acts of kindness. I started off by getting some cardboard from work and building some 3D letters....I had to drive this bulk of cardboard home in my car, and the car smelt of Mcdonalds for months after this!
 
 
Making these letters involved printing out giant letters, cutting them out on cardboard and gluing/taping them into 3D shapes. This was harder than I thought it was going to be, as I had to try to get the thickness of the letters the same throughout. Once I had done this I used paper mache to make the letters appear solid. It was so time consuming... I felt like I was going a bit brain dead by the time I had finished the word 'Pledge'. 
 
With the letters finally made and painted in the uniform green I used through the project (after at least two sleepless nights) I was able to present them in public - Peckham and Camberwell to be precise!
 You may have noticed the bear in one of these pictures....I decided for my campaign I would have a mascot - The Generosity Bear! 
Hes a cute little brown bear with pink cheeks and big eyes. He wears a green hat with a badge on, that says 'Generosity Bear'. As a mascot, he was there to represent the campaign and make it more fun :)
My friend Eleni with The Generosity Bear outside Camberwell...I had hoped to take photos of him with loads of different people, friends and strangers, but being introverted, I chickened out ><
That aside, The Generosity Bear had an important role in my posters for the campaign:
Poster Campaign One:
 
Poster Campaign Two:
 
Once I designed these two posters on my laptop, I screen printed them at university and began to distribute them in the public, again in the streets of Camberwell and Peckham.
 
After my poster making, I decided I wanted to make some more promotional pieces and merchandise for the campaign to spread around. I started off with designing a set of badges.
 
And then I moved on to making outdoor-usable stickers with the same set of designs.

 
Aswell as merchandise, the brief hinted that we should get the public involved in the campaign somehow. I came up with the idea of a 'Good Deed Card' - a card given to the public suggesting a good deed they should do that day. All the cards had different good deed suggestions on them, and I would leave in public places or hand them out as part of the campaign.
 You may or may not have noticed but I tried keeping a small colour scheme throughout the campaign - this made it not only easier, but made the colours unique and recognisable to the campaign itself. With this in mind, I made a set of cards that I left on tables and in phone booths...
 And last but not least...I made a little bit more merchandise...including a tshirt and a canvas bag! The tshirt I happened to wear on the day I had to present this project - I felt like I belonged to a charity.

So I had to make all this in just over a week. I was exhausted. I sometimes still feel like I haven't recovered from this project. Nonetheless it went down pretty well at university!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com