Tuesday, 11 February 2014

3D and Environmental Imagemaking Project

This was the first project we had to do when we came back after Xmas, aswell as being the last project before the Unit 6 hand in! No pressure :')
It was the 3D project that I had been a little nervous for, and was directed by Chrissie MacDonald (http://www.chrissiemacdonald.co.uk) who is the genius behind this Orange campaign you might recognise:
Chrissie brought in lots of varying objects and put them in the centre of the class room for us recreate with any materials we brought in. I luckily brought in lots of cardboard, paint and felt, and with an uneasy start I got to work....
I made a giant lipstick!

And a little dolly with googly eyes and a pointy nose....

Last but not least, I also made a plant!
~~
Once the introductory workshop of making was over, we were given the brief we had to work on over the next 10 days. The brief asked us to "Select a quote from the list overleaf and explore different avenues to illustrate the text within a 3-dimensional space."
From the list I selected the quote: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
It took me quite a few days to get to work, as I had a bit of creative block. But I knew I wanted to make a set of monsters right from the beginning, and after a conversation with my tutor we came up with the idea of making a large complex monster, shrinking down to a smaller, simpler monster until you get to the smallest, plainest monster. Think Russian dolls!

I had to make quite alot of doodles and sketches until I came up with a set I was happy with. Then I got some materials together to build the largest, complex monster, who happened to be a costume for a child too!

Then followed the medium sized monsters, down to the smallest (cutest) one...

With these monsters, I put together a mini set of collages featuring the monsters in action :)

And so that was it :) I was so tired and fed up by the end of Unit 6, I'd cut the palms of my hands from constant use of scissors and the constant squeezing of the Glue bottle in order to make these, and I hurt for days. I had a little trouble with the Glue in practice, as not only was in a nightmare to get out of the bottle but when it dried it left a white sheen over the fabric -GAAAHH- but I managed to fix it - just.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com